Though in modern day unicorns are thought to be nothing more than a myth, ancient cultures wrote of them as real animals. In fact, they were included in many natural history books of the time.
The most popular depictions of the unicorn are known by Greek and European accounts and mythology, though there are similar unicorn-like creatures that have been recorded throughout the world. There were many interpretations of the beast – some saw it as the incarnation of purity and grace. Some believed that the horn of the beast had the power to provide cures for sickness and the ability to serve as an antidote for poison.
I’ve been drawing unicorns since I was 10 and I adore these legendary creatures, so making a unicorn jar was a no-brainer for me.
Things you’ll need:
• A jar with the lid
• White and pink acrylic paint
• Glittery pink ribbons (you can use pink lace, or pink ribbons)
• A black sharpie or permanent marker
• Air drying clay
• PVA glue
• Silver powder glitter
• Hot glue gun and a hot glue stick
• Pre-made rose embellishments or polymer clay to make your own rose embellishments
How to make your unicorn jar:
Before you get started, prep your jar. Clean, wash and dry your jar. Get rid of any labels. If you’re using a plastic jar and are struggling to get rid of the sticky label, check out my tips on Jar Hacks 101
1. Roll out two “snakes” with your air dry clay. Twirl them together to make the unicorn horn. Allow to dry completely.
2. Paint your jar white and the lid pink and allow to dry. Using your Sharpie, draw a pair of closed eyes.
3. Using the hot glue, add the ribbons to your jar and lid.
4. Once the clay horn is dry, apply a thin layer of PVA glue and roll the horn in a pile of glitter. Be careful to do this step on a large sheet of paper or plastic as things will most definitely get messy!
5. Once the horn is dry, glue the horn on to the lid.
6. Make your rose embellishments with your polymer clay.
7. using hot glue, attach your rose embellishments at the base of your horn.
You can fill your jar with sweets, marbles or anything you fancy. Or just display this gorgeous piece on a shelf!
Know someone who loves unicorns? Don’t forget to share this with them!