Elephants are lovely, whimsical creatures and it just makes perfect sense to make a whimsical elephant jar!
The beautiful beasts are the world’s largest mammals and one of the most intelligent ones too. Just like humans are right-handed or left-handed, elephants are right-tusked or left-tusked. How interesting is that! Elephants also have a great sense of self-awareness. While most animals that spot their reflection in a mirror will assume that it is another animal, elephants can recognise themselves in mirrors.
Elephants are integral to maintaining a rich biodiversity and help maintain balance in the forest and savanna ecosystems. Sadly, illegal ivory trade, large scale elephant poaching, habitat loss and degradation have contributed to the decline of elephant populations. Recent carbon dating studies revealed that most illegal ivory was poached from elephants that were killed less than three years ago. African elephant populations have dropped by 30% in just seven years, while the forest elephant population have dropped by an astonishing 62% over the past decade.
What can you do to help the elephants?
- Don’t buy ivory, sell it or wear it. Shunning antique ivory is a simple, yet effective way to show your solidarity with the elephants.
- Choose to buy coffee and wood that have been grown in plantations that haven’t destroyed elephant habitats.
- Boycott animal circuses and zoos that provide insufficient space for elephants to livein social groups.
- Support conservation efforts or adopt an elephant.
- When someone comments on how whimsical your elephant jar is, use the opportunity to start a conversation about how they can help the elephants too!
Now let’s get to our project…
Like I mentioned earlier, whimsy doesn’t come with instructions, and you can go as crazy as you like, but here’s some basic steps to get your whimsy on!
Things you’ll need:
• A jar
• Thick purple yarn
• Coloured paper
• Elephant embellishments
• Hot glue gun and 1 hot glue stick
Steps to make your whimsical jar:
Clean, wash and dry your jar. Get rid of any labels. If you’re using a plastic jar and are struggling to get rid of the sticky label, check out my tips on Jar Hacks 101, or simply opt to cover your entire jar with paint, paper or yarn.
2. Decide how much of your jar you would like to cover with yarn and how much with coloured paper. Accordingly, cut enough yarn to wrap around your jar.
In this project, I have braided the yarn and then wrapped it around the jar, but you can choose to wrap the yarn as is. If you would like to wrap your jar with some coloured paper and yarn, start with the coloured paper. This will allow you to cover up any rough edges of your coloured paper.
3. Hot glue your (braided) yarn on to your jar, covering any uncovered bits of the jar. The more area of the jar that you cover with yarn, the cosier your jar is going to be!
4. Hot glue your embellishments onto your jar.
5. Tuck some colourful feathers in your yarn.
You don’t have to stop here. If you’ve got some beads, glue it on or wrap a string of beads around. The possibilities are endless!
Tell me how you personalised your whimsical jar in the comments!