It’s almost October, and that can only mean ONE thing! HALLOWEEN!
The spookiest occasion of the year is just around the corner so, let’s talk Halloween Crafts! Everyone knows Halloween is about more than costumes and candy. It’s about spooky decorations, crafts and treats too. And boy, are you in for a treat! This is jarhacks’ first Halloween, so what better to do than celebrate with a bunch of spooktacular Halloween jar hacks?
If you believe in ghosts, you’re not alone. Cultures all around the world believe in spirits that survive death to live in another realm. In fact, ghosts are among the most widely believed of paranormal phenomenon. And that’s why the first craft of our Halloween series revolves around ghosts…but not spooky ones. Our ghosts are cute little ones trapped in a jar!
Things you’ll need:
• A jar
• White polymer clay OR white air dry clay
• Small pebbles
• Black permanent marker
• A wooden kebab skewer
• A hot glue gun and a stick of hot glue
How to make your ghost in a jar:
- Before you get started, prep your jar. Clean, wash and dry your jar. Get rid of any labels. If you’re using a plastic jar and are struggling to get rid of the sticky label, check out my tips on Jar Hacks 101
2. Shape your clay into a ghost using your fingers. I did this by holding up my index finger, middle finger and ring finger and wrapping and shaping the clay around these fingers. Make sure that your ghost isn’t too thick/heavy and that it can pass through the mouth of the jar.
3. If you’re using polymer clay, bake your ghost according to manufacturer instructions. If you’re using air dry clay, let your clay dry completely.
4. While you’re clay is baking or drying, measure your kebab skewer and break it down to match the 3/4 the height of your jar.
5. Secure the skewer to the inside on the lid using hot glue. Glue pebbles around the stick to support as needed. Ensure that you leave sufficient space around the pebbles so you can screw the lid back on the jar.
6. Once the ghost is dry/cool, use your permanent marker to draw a spooky expression on your ghost.
7. Place the ghost on the skewer that is attached to the lid. You ghost will be able to balance itself and wobble on the skewer.
8. Insert the ghost and the skewer lid into the jar and screw the lid shut.
Voila! And that’s how you trap a ghost in a jar! What other Halloween jar hacks would you like to see? Let me know in the comments!